We’ve compiled some helpful information about the Department of Public Safety and local Tag Agencies for obtaining your permit and driver’s license. You should double-check all information as it can change over time.
Department of Public Safety
705 East Gore Blvd.
Lawton, OK 73501
Across from Cracker Barrel
Phone Number: (580) 353-6550
Hours of Operation: Monday- Friday 8:00AM to 4:45PM (Closed Federal Holidays)
*You should schedule two months in advance to avoid long wait times
Lawton Ft. Sill Tag Agency
29 SW D Ave
Lawton, Ok 73501
(Across from JC Penney)
Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Accept Cash, all Credit Cards, and ATM onsite
DPS/Tag Agency Fees
- $42.50 First time learner license permit
- $25 duplicate license (restriction change after driving test)
- $4 fail fee for written and driving test
Helpful Tips for Getting Your Permit
- You must be 15 years old.
- You’ll have to pass a vision test.
- If you bring a registration form you will have to take the 20-question written test for your permit. If you bring the completion certificate (received after your last one-on-one drive time), you will not have to take their 20-question written test.
- Walk-ins are accepted, but you can expect about a four hour wait. We recommend getting there at 6:30am to get in line. Appointments are recommended and generally booked 60 days out.
- Take with you the following (the DPS does not accept copies of documents, so bring originals):
- One form of ID (birth certificate or passport)
- Your completion certificate
- Social Security Number
- Parent or legal guardian if under 18
- The school letter is no longer a requirement to get a permit.
- We are an epic school vendor and fees are paid through your learning fund.
Helpful Tips to Get your License
- You must be 16 years old.
- You must have had your permit for six months or more with no accidents or tickets.
- You must have completed the driver training program, have your certificate of completion, and pass the driving test at the DPS or through our driving school.
We want to be a helpful resource to our customers, so If you have any other questions,
you can call us at (580) 512-4825 and we will do our best to help you.
Parent Affidavit for Learner’s Permit
If a Parent or Legal Guardian will not be present at the Dept. of Public Safety when the student applies for their LP, you must complete and have notarized this affidavit.
The wording of this affidavit will say “Obtain a Driver License”(DL). The State views an LP as a DL . Do not let this confuse you.